Practical T-12 Course
Course includes 4-5 meetings, each 3-hour long. Following the course, the participants need to pass a practical exam including theoretical questions. Participants who don’t have theoretical background will be given the appropriate guidance in order to make up the necessary knowledge.
For your convenience, a list of relevant course topics and a link to the most relevant books and online sources:
- High energy electrons as particles and radiation.
- Resolution – the Rayleigh criterion and its connection to the electrons energy.
- Electron beam – sample interactions
- TEM as an optical instrument – similarities to and differences from visible light microscope.
- TEM design:
– Gun structure
– Electron sources (LaB6 and FEG)
– Lenses – design and function: condenser, microcondenser, objective, projection
– Deflection coils
– Image formation
- Aberrations and their limitation of resolution
- Depth-of field and depth-of-focus
- Contrast mechanisms
- TEM vacuum system
- Bright field and dark field imaging
- Low dose imaging
- Cryogenic electron microscopy – differences from the room temperature EM : TEM design, TEM specimen holder and work flow.
For TEM course registration please click here: TEM course registration
- The work on HR-SEM is very useful for those, engaged with nanometer-scale materials (in solids and liquids).
- The course consists of 6 learning hours in a small group (Up to 4 participants), 3 hours of personal training and a final exam, which includes theoretical questions, after which the participant will be able to work independently.
- Theoretical or practical microscopy background is an advantage, such as participation (in the past or in the coming semester) in EM course given by Prof. Talmon and Prof. Segal-Peretz (Chemical Engineering Department) and/or SEM course given by Prof. Wayne Kaplan (Materials Engineering Department).
- Complementing training on the energy-dispersive x-ray (EDS) detector will be given upon demand.
- Cryo-SEM training will be given separately for interested users.
For course registration please click here: HR-SEM course registration
For EDS training registration please click here: EDS training registration
For now, requests for RBNI funding for the courses cannot be submitted.
For more details on the courses and their opening dates, please contact:
Dr. Olga Kleinerman (firstname.lastname@example.org, phone: 073-3782845)